P.O. Box 12367
San Antonio, TX 78212
Fax: (210) 212-7118
Description of Practice
Don has trained in a number of different mediation / facilitation styles. Optimally, he is able to talk with the parties prior to the scheduled mediation to help them determine what styles might be most effective. In general, he is of the view that the mediator ought to carry a full toolbox and use a range of tools depending on individual circumstances and party consent.
• Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at the Pepperdine University School of Law (ranked No. 1 in the country by U.S. News and World Report more than five times)
• Academic courses: Commercial and International Dispute Resolution, Mediation, Negotiation and Settlement Advocacy, Arbitration, International Investment Disputes, Selected Issues in Dispute Resolution (Labor Disputes), Third-Party Processes, Faith-Based Diplomacy and International Peacemaking, Communication and Conflict, Social Psychology of Conflict
• Professional Skills Programs: Advanced Mediation; Improvisational Mediation; Mediating the Complex Case; Mediating Complex Construction Disputes
• Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School (The Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives and Dealing with Difficult People and Difficult Situations)
• Dispute Resolution Section of the American Bar Association (Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Training; Annual Conferences)
• Advanced Commercial Mediation Institute (AAA and ACR)
• Austin Dispute Resolution Center (Advanced Family Mediation Training)
• Association of Attorney-Mediators
MEDIATION FEE SCHEDULE
FULL-DAY MEDIATION: $1,000 per party
Don Philbin charges a flat fee of $1,000 per party for full-day mediations. This fee covers the cost of preparing for the mediation, the mediation session, and a limited number of post-mediation conferences.
HALF-DAY MEDIATION: $600 per party
A half-day mediation is scheduled for less than four hours. This fee covers the cost of preparing for the mediation, the mediation session, and a limited number of post-mediation conferences.
Payment is due before or on the day of the mediation session. Payment should be made payable to DONALD R. PHILBIN, JR., P.C. The tax identification number is 74-2800147.
If the mediation session occurs outside of San Antonio, all travel expenses (airfare, meals, lodging, ground transportation, etc.) are divided equally and invoiced to the parties unless otherwise agreed in advance.
The One Minute Manager Prepares for Mediation: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Negotiation Preparation
HARVARD NEGOTIATION LAW REVIEW 249 (2008); reprinted in Securities Arbitration & Mediation Hot Topics 2008: “The” Program for Attorneys, In-House Counsel, Experts, Arbitrators & Mediators, New York City Bar (2008); The Value of Economic Analysis in Preparing for Mediation
DISPUTE RESOLUTION JOURNAL 49 (April 2008); Deal or No Deal? Or Perhaps a Better Deal? The Impact of Improved Information
ALTERNATIVES TO THE HIGH COST OF LITIGATION 177 (Dec. 2007); The Psychology of Bad Economic Decisions
JAMS DISPUTE RESOLUTION ALERT 1 (Fall 2007); Comprehensive Trial Preparation Includes ADR Process Design: What Type of Mediator Best Fits This Case?
CONFLICT MANAGEMENT Newsletter 17 (ABA, Section of Litigation, Fall 2007), reprinted as Trial Preparation Includes ADR Process Design: What Type of Mediator Fits Best?
ABA COMMERCIAL & BUSINESS LIT. 1 (ABA LIT. WINTER 2008); Litigating Arbitration: A 2007 Texas Arbitration Review
BAYLOR LAW REVIEW 613 (2008); Fifth Circuit Survey Articles, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 40 Texas Tech Law Review 445 (2008); (2009 pending).
ABA Sections of (1) Litigation and (2) Dispute Resolution; Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution Symposium; Texas Wesleyan Law Review Symposium; The Conference Board: Council of Chief Legal Officers; Manufacturers Alliance / MAPI Law Council; Association of Attorney-Mediators
Areas of Practice
- Adult Family
- Civil (general)
- Divorce (all issues)
- Divorce (parenting)
- Estate Planning
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Labor - Management
- Land Use
- Landlord - Tenant
- Legal Malpractice
- Marital Mediation
- Medical Malpractice
- Online Mediation
- Personal Injury
- Professional Fees
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Advanced Mediation Trainer
- Mediating Lawyer
- Collaborative Professional
- Online Mediator
- Online Arbitrator
- Communication Skills Trainer
- Representational Lawyer
- Mediation Consultant
- Mediation Trainer
This dispute resolution professional keeps liability insurance.
AttachmentsAlternative Dispute Resolution (TexTech Fifth Circuit Review 2008).pdf
Baylor - Litigating Arbitration - A 2007 Texas Arbitration Review (final) 07082008.pdf
Comprehensive Trial Preparation Includes ADR Process Design - What Type of Mediator Best Fits This Case (ABA).pdf
Deal or No Deal - Or Perhaps a Better Deal - The Impact of Improved Information.pdf
HNLR Philbin (final).pdf
Litigating Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Fifth Circuit (2009).pdf
Thankful for Unanswered Prayers - Unconscionability Equilibrium.pdf
The Psychology of Bad Economic Decisions (JAMS).pdf
The Value of Economic Analysis in Preparing for Mediation (DRJ).pdf
Trends in Litigating Arbitration - Using Motions to Compel Arbitration and Motions to Vacate Arbitration Awards.pdf