Mediate.com Secure Cloud File Management
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on any item in the following table of contents to view the answer.
- What is Mediate.com Secure Cloud File Management?
Mediate.com Secure File Management Secure Server provides a single solution that securely stores all your practice or program files, enables effortless file sharing with co-workers and clients, and file backup. Mediate.com Secure File Management eliminates the need to purchase and maintain servers, virtual private networks (VPN) and point-products such as FTP. With a unique hybrid approach to online storage, Mediate.com Secure File Management enables you to access, edit and store files locally (in your office) or online (in the Internet cloud), thereby providing the advantages of both traditional servers and cloud-based solutions but without the associated high costs and overhead.
- How do I know my data is secure?
The privacy of your data is as important to us as it is to you. That's why we use world-class data protection technology and tiered security management policies to ensure both the integrity and complete privacy of all your critical business files.
The Mediate.com Secure File Management network and all communications - both in and out - are protected by best-of-class firewall and router technology, strong SSL encryption and a Network Intrusion Detection System that monitors and proactively blocks worms, hackers, sniffers and other undesirables. Every data request is authenticated, first by domain, then by username and password. Folder structure contains read/write/delete access permissions, enabling you to invite suppliers, customers and business partners to share data with confidence, since you have complete control over their access rights.
Mediate.com Secure File Management servers are hosted at Type II, SAS 70 compliant collocation facilities that features 24-hour manned security, biometric access control, video surveillance and physical locks. Mediate.com Secure File Management further ensures your data is secure with redundant independent storage units using RAID 6.
- What customer support does Mediate.com Secure File Management offer?
Our customer support team is friendly, knowledgeable and available to all Mediate.com Secure File Management customers at no additional charge.
- Can I customize my Mediate.com Secure File Management Web page to match my practice or program brand?
Yes, if you purchase a custom system, you can use your company logo and color scheme of your choice for your Mediate.com Secure File Management account's pages and web interface. In addition, you can map the access URL for Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server with your company-specific domain name, create company-specific message templates, and change default SMTP settings to send email messages/alerts from your company mail system.
Back to top
- What is the difference between a Power User and a Standard User?
- Power Users have access to all the key features of Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server, including the ability to map Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server as a network drive, operate a Personal Local Secure File Management (for fast local access and off-line access), and implement continuous file backup for their files.
- Standard Users have access only to the specific shared folders to which they have been given permissions and their access to the Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server is limited to only a Web browser. They cannot access Mediate.com Secure File Management as a mapped drive from their desktop, nor can they use Personal Local Secure File Management .
- How do I add and manage users?
As an Administrator, you can quickly add and manage both Power Users and Standard Users from within your account. The number of users available for your account is determined by the plan you select. You can easily add additional users or upgrade to a plan with a larger number of included users.
- How much online storage do I get?
If you find that your business requires more online storage than you had anticipated, additional storage can be purchased from within your account.
- How do I cancel my subscription with Mediate.com Secure File Management ?
You can cancel your subscription at the end of any service month by contacting us at email@example.com. There are no long-term contracts.
Back to top
Online Storage and File Access
- What types of information can I store in Mediate.com Secure File Management ?
Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server can store files of any type or size.
- How do I access my files when I'm off-line?
Personal Local Secure File Management provides full off-line access to all your files and folders via a local file cache. Designed for those occasions when you don't have Internet access or are working with large files, Personal Local Secure File Management utilizes automatic synchronization to ensure that when Internet connectivity is restored, all changes between offline and online files are instantly reconciled.
- What happens to my data if I choose to stop using Mediate.com Secure File Management or cancel my subscription?
If you choose to stop using Mediate.com Secure File Management or cancel your subscription, you can easily export all your data out from the Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server. You can then utilize the delete functions within the application to safely purge your data from our servers. (Additionally, all cancelled accounts are completely deleted and purged from our servers as matter of routine maintenance.)
- Can I use my smartphone or mobile device to access my files?
Yes, using the Web browser on your smartphone or mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android or Blackberry), you can access, share and manage your documents. Mediate.com Secure File Management has applications for the iPhone and iPad that are available from iTunes App Store, and an Android application that is available on the Android marketplace.
- Can I access online files directly from my desktop and manipulate them with drag-and-drop?
All Power Users can access their files and folders using a Web browser or via a mapped drive for convenient desktop file access. This makes uploading and downloading your files that reside on Mediate.com Secure File Management as simple as dragging and dropping them from the mapped drive to your PC or Mac. Need to make edits? Simply open the file from your mapped drive, make your changes and then save.
- How can I migrate large amounts of data to Mediate.com Secure File Management ?
Mediate.com Secure File Management offers an optional data migration service to help you move large amount of data from a physical file server or another service to Mediate.com Secure File Management. Please contact technical support for details.
Back to top
File and Folder Sharing, Large File Transfer
- How do I share files clients, attorneys and others?
Sharing files with trusted individuals outside your practice or program is both easy and secure. Simply add them as Standard Users to your Address Book, and then upload the files you wish to share to your Shared Folder on the Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server. A powerful mechanism for sharing files, the Shared Folder gives you full control over user access through read/write/delete access permissions.
- How do I upload and share large files?
Mediate.com Secure File Management enables you to upload and share large files and folders without using email. A built-in, browser-based Java uploader handles most of the heavy lifting, but for the largest files (500 MBs or more), Mediate.com Secure File Management provides easy-to-use, no-maintenance FTP.
- How can I share files via links?
When viewing the list of files on your Mediate.com Secure File Management dashboard, simply select the one you wish to share and click the SEND action. This creates a link (unique URL) that you can embed in a document, webpage or email. When the link is clicked, the file is automatically downloaded without requiring a login to Mediate.com Secure File Management . You can also set an expiration date on the link, as well as automatic notification via email when a link is clicked.
- How can I share folders via links?
When viewing the list of folders on your Mediate.com Secure File Management dashboard, simply select the one you wish to share and click the SEND action. This creates a link (unique URL) that you can embed in a document, webpage or email. Unlike file sharing via link, however, you can designate a folder as Public (available to anyone) or Protected (requiring an authenticated login). When the link is clicked (with appropriate user access), the folder is automatically downloaded with all of its accompanying files.
- How do I upload multiple files?
Mediate.com Secure File Management is designed to handle multiple-file and -folder uploads with ease. For multiple uploads, simply log in to the Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server and use the built-in, browser-based Java uploader. (The uploader can handle all but the heaviest of lifting. For the largest files (500 MBs or more), Mediate.com Secure File Management provides easy-to-use, no-maintenance FTP.)
- Can I use FTP to upload large files?
Most files can be uploaded to the Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server using the built-in, browser-based Java uploader - but for files 500 MBs or larger, you can use an industry standard FTP client. (Mediate.com Secure File Management also provides Data Migration Services for customers who have extremely large initial data sets that need to be migrated into their account.)
- Can I use Mediate.com Secure File Management to email a large file?
With Mediate.com Secure File Management , sharing a large file via email is as easy as sharing a link. Simply create a link to a file or folder within Mediate.com Secure File Management , and then share it internally with members of your team via email (or make it publically available over your blog, Website, even your Twitter or Facebook account). There's no software required for downloading the file and you control how long the file is available for access. You can even be automatically notified when a file has been downloaded.
Back to top
Local Secure File Management
- What is Local Secure File Management?
Local Secure File Management is a solution that hosts an always-available local copy of your business' files and folders to provide you with LAN-speed access and off-line access. Your local file copies are automatically synchronized with online copies stored on Secure File Management File Server.
Local Secure File Management access is wire-speed, and is therefore faster than retrieving information over the Internet. In the event of an Internet connection outage, your business can continue to work on Local Secure File Management file copies.
Any changes you make locally are synchronized with copies on Secure File Management File Server - with file versioning intact - once your Internet connection has been restored. Local Secure File Management is available to Power Users only.
Back to top
FTP and File Server Replacement
- Can I have a centralized server for multiple offices?
Yes. With Mediate.com Secure File Management , you can add as many users as you need and assign administrative and data access rights across multiple offices. Shared folders can be structured with permissions for Power Users and Standard Users, thereby allowing employees, partners and customers to have access to this information accordingly. For larger implementations, Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server integrates into your existing directory service (Active Directory or LDAP) for users/groups and password management. Administrators can also assign and revoke permissions on folders to assert control over what folders a user or group can access.
- Can Mediate.com Secure File Management replace a physical file server?
Yes. Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server is designed to take the place of a physical file server. Instead of being located in a server room, Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server is located online, allowing you to securely upload, organize, store and share as many files as you want - regardless of type or size.
- Can I replace my FTP server with Mediate.com Secure File Management?
Yes. Mediate.com Secure File Management provides an easy-to-use alternative to FTP servers. Unlike traditional FTP, you can use one Mediate.com Secure File Management account to share and exchange files with multiple partners. You have complete control over who can access specific folders on your Mediate.com Secure File Management server. This works flawlessly with popular FTP clients to speed-up uploads of large files.
- How can I back up my company files?
When you store your files on Mediate.com Secure File Management File Server, you are automatically backing up those files securely in the cloud. Files are continuously synchronized between your local storage and the cloud. These files are accessible only to authorized users and can be accessed from any location, using any device.
- Can I work on files on my hard drive and have Mediate.com Secure File Management automatically back up these files?
When you install Mediate.com Secure File Management 's Personal Local Secure File Management solution, Mediate.com Secure File Management creates a unique folder on your hard drive. All folders and files placed with this folder are automatically and continuously synchronized to the cloud.
You can simply move folders and files from your current hard drive location to this unique Mediate.com Secure File Management folder. You get the best of both worlds - files stay local and you continue to save them to your hard drive. As these files are modified, Mediate.com Secure File Management automatically syncs a copy of these files to the cloud, where they are securely backed up. This synchronization with the cloud ensures these files are for you to access regardless of where you are - at your computer, using the web browser, or using a native Mediate.com Secure File Management app designed for iPad, HP TouchPad, iPhone and Android.
If your computer were to crash, you have immediate access to your files from the cloud. When you obtain a new computer, or repair the existing one, simply install Personal Local Secure File Management again on this computer and all the files will be restored to this new computer.
- How do I load my files into Mediate.com Secure File Management?
Mediate.com Secure File Management provides a range of upload methods to move your files to the cloud. Files can be easily uploaded using any popular web browser or from a mapped drive on your computer. Mediate.com Secure File Management also provides support for FTP-based uploads. Users may also download and install any of Mediate.com Secure File Management 's local cloud solutions to sync files from their computer to the cloud.
Once files are in the cloud, they are securely backed up.
- How does Mediate.com Secure File Management let multiple users work on the same file?
Mediate.com Secure File Management provides the following features that make online collaboration easy and effective:
- File locking and checkout - The system automatically locks files when users open them for editing. In addition, users can manually lock files for modifications (file check-out). Once a file is locked (checked out), other users can view the file, but cannot edit or upload changes until the file has been unlocked (file check-in).
- Automatic file versioning - No need to change filenames to capture versions. Mediate.com Secure File Management automatically versions files as they change. Mediate.com Secure File Management never "overwrites" a file, so you get a complete audit trail of who made a change and when they made it.
- Automatic notification of file changes - As new files are added or as existing files change, Mediate.com Secure File Management automatically notifies each user that has access to those files. Each person can specify a notification frequency indicating how often they would like to be notified.
- Can I back up my servers to Mediate.com Secure File Management?
Mediate.com Secure File Management does not currently provide capabilities to backup servers, server images, databases, etc.
Back to top