CMS Volunteer and Confidentiality Agreement
Volunteers/interns may expect CMS to provide:
a. opportunities to train, learn, practice, and teach mediation skills and the practice of mediation;
b. management structure and material support;
c. accessible, valuable human support, including coaching and mentoring;
d. recognition and appreciation for your service to your community;
e. forms and handouts;
f. agency updates, including CMS newsletter;
g. professional literature and bulletin board postings;
Opportunities for volunteers/interns at CMS:
a. Conduct mediation: case development, mediation, post-mediation tracking, etc.
b. Conduct presentations to community groups and formal mediation trainings.
c. Provide mentoring and/or be mentored.
d. Administration. For example:
• Open and close cases and track and record case progress by other mediators.
• Answer phones, prepare mailings, copy/collate documents, etc.
• Provide input for trainings, manuals, procedures, policies, etc.
• Outreach: establish relationships with agencies, help with newsletter, etc.
• Fundraising: help with grant writing, letters, flyers, events, etc.
f. Help coordinate any of the above.
g. Serve on committees, including Board of Directors.
h. Generate your own participation.
CMS expects volunteers/interns to:
a. follow CMS guidelines re.:
• office procedures;
• case development within suggested timelines;
• professional mediation best practices;
• Appropriate personal presentation.
b. commit time to learn and build mediation skills in order to be an effective practitioner;
c. communicate with CMS:
• Ask questions; don't guess.
• Give regular updates on case status.
• Fill out paperwork on cases. And log volunteer time(It's an important part of our quarterly reports to the ODRC, which provides nearly half of CMS funding.)
d. Tell us about your successes and challenges with clients, other volunteers/interns, staff, paperwork, etc. Walk the talk. Deal directly.
f. provide or sign documents:
• Basic Mediation Training Certificate
• CMS Volunteer and Confidentiality Agreement
Confidentiality AgreementI have read and understand the mutual expectations of volunteers/interns at CMS and the Confidentiality Agreement, and I agree to adhere to them.
As a volunteer for Community Mediation Services I understand that any information or conversations that come from or take place within my volunteering agreement are confidential. I agree not to repeat any information regarding CMS's clients to others, except in staffing, briefing or training settings with CMS staff and volunteers. CMS understands that I may have an "obligation to report" in certain cases. I will make this obligation known to the appropriate CMS staff, and if this obligation changes I will update the appropriate CMS staff.
Volunteer Date CMS Staff Date
(for volunteer mediators)
[Click here to read: Oregon Mediation Association Standards of Practice]
[Click here to read: CMS Mediation Philosophy]
I have read and understand the Oregon Mediation Association's Standards of Practice and the CMS Mediation Philosophy, and I agree to adhere to them.
Volunteer Date CMS Staff Date