Jocelyn Wurzburg, J.D.
Mediating everything personal since 1984, I am a Tennessee Supreme Court designated Rule 31 mediator in both family and general civil law. Most of my work is in divorce and work place disputes, serving on the U.S. Postal Service Redress panel, ADR Advantage and Key Bridge ADA panels. I teach divorce, general civil and student peer mediation in the facilitative style.
- Entered law in 1981, at age 41, performing divorce litigation. Opened a solo practice in collaborative lawyering, helping couples divorce cooperatively.
- Became Memphis’ first professional mediator in 1984.
- Prior to law, volunteered 40+ hrs weekly on national, state, and local boards appointed by Pres. G. Ford, Govs. Dunn, Sundquist, and Bredesen.
- Drafted legislation.
- Board Member of APFMHonors:</>
- Shelby County Diversity Award. 2008
- Women of Achievement, 1990, for Courage
- National Conference of Christians and Jews, 1981, Community Service
- Fifty Women Who Make a Difference, 1st Class, 1997 Women’s News of Memphis
- Be the Dream MLK Legacy Award, from the City of Memphis
- Jocelyn Dan Wurzburg Civil Rights Legacy award established by the Tennessee Commission on Human Rights
- Herman Ewing Community Service award from the Memphis Urban League
FAMILY MEDIATION: Divorce, Parenting plans, Family Business, Step-parenting, Parent/Teen, Pre-marital (Money-yours, mine, ours; division of labor), and even Marital (mediating the conflicts in the marriage instead of the terms of the divorce). WORKPLACE DISPUTES: Em discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Co-worker conflicts, ADA, postal service. LAND USE, BUSINESS, CONTRACT, ORGANIZATIONS
I mostly use facilitative mediation, keeping the parties together for assisted negotiation. Used in lieu of shuttle mediation, the agreements are more durable and the parties feel they had “a say” in the decision-making process. I try not to be too evaluative; just enough to keep folks within the law. Muscle mediation is counter productive, unless someone is trying to screw kids over! Then I flex!
Areas Of Practice
- Civil (general)
- Cross Cultural
- Divorce (all issues)
- Divorce (parenting)
- Land Use
- Medical Malpractice
- Postal Service
- Advanced Mediation Trainer
- Communication Skills Trainer
- Mediating Lawyer
- Mediation Consultant
- Mediation Trainer
- Parenting Coordinator
Fees and Provisos
$300 per hr to be paid at each session. For divorce: a $3000 REFUNDABLE retainer is required and is applied to the last 12hrs. For training: $3000 per day + travel expenses.
- ABA DR - ABA Section of DR
- ACR - Assoc. for Conflict Resolution
- AFM AP - ACR Acad. Family Mediators AP
- ACR AWP - ACR Adv. Workplace Practioner
- APFM - Acad. of Professional Family Mediators