This Week in Mediation #858
December 2, 2020 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
How Mediation Thinking Saved the World • APFM, NAFCM, MBB & ACR Co-Sponsor National Mediation Policy Act! • Family Mediation: A Separate Category of Mediation? • Is There a Zoom Mediation in Your Future? • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|How Mediation Thinking Saved the World
by Jim Melamed
Greetings from the future, 10 years in the future to be exact, November 28, 2030 to be even more precise. It is Thanksgiving Day 2030, and we are here testing a previously secret joint project of Mediate.com and Zoom wherein future text and image communications, up to 10 years into the future, can now be sent and published “backward in time.” Crazy, I know.
|APFM, NAFCM, MBB & ACR Co-Sponsor National Mediation Policy Act!
The APFM, NAFCM, MBB & ACR have joined Mediate.com's groundbreaking efforts to set America on a better path by sponsoring the "National Mediation Policy Act" (NMPA). The Act declares a national policy favoring voluntary mediation over disputes being litigated, remaining unresolved or resulting in violence.
|MEDIATE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP SALE EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 15!
Our special new member rates are now good until December 15!
|Family Mediation: A Separate Category of Mediation?
by Chinwe Egbunike-Umegbolu
It is to be noted that Mediation is not just about settling disputes or getting back people together. It also extends to making adequate arrangement for the welfare of family members in cases of separation.
|Is There a Zoom Mediation in Your Future?
by Sheldon Stark
During the state of emergency, courts have been working at less than full capacity.
|CHECK OUT THE NEW MEDIATE UNIVERSITY AT MediateUniversity.com
Over 30 Courses and 6 Month Course Access!
Group Discounts - Now Available - CLE/CEU Credit
Use COUPON CODE "MEDIATE" to save 10% During December!
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
Read All Mediation News
Today’s Business: Refining the process of alternative dispute resolution during a pandemic
With the COVID-19 pandemic, the world has changed, and the Alternative Dispute Resolution process along with it.
Med-Arb: Is It the Wave of the Future?
The pressure on the Alternate Dispute Resolution world to handle what I believe will be a dramatic increase in volume offers the opportunity to consider a third or hybrid process of dispute resolution known as Med-Arb, the melding of the two established conflict resolution processes – mediation and arbitration.
Resolving Employment Disputes through Mediation
From health and safety concerns of the COVID-19 pandemic, to systemic discrimination issues amidst the Black Lives Matter movement, to continued fallout from the #MeToo movement, employers are currently facing a unique environment that is both increasing the number of workplace disputes and changing how they handle the disputes.
WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center Registers Its 50,000th "Cybersquatting" Case
The WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center on Monday announced it had registered its 50,000th "cybersquatting" case. The 50,000th case just received by WIPO coincides with the organization's 20th anniversary on November 20, 2020.
Mediation and the art of managing emotions
It never ceases to amaze me how often parties say that their emotions play no part in a dispute.
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Executive Director - NV
- Mediator (Part or Full Time) (Initially Remote) - NY, NJ, PA
- Complaint Investigator - CA
- Political Affairs Officer - NY
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- December 3-12 - ONLINE TX - Fast Track Online Basic Mediation CourseDecember 3-14 - ONLINE TX - Fast Track Online Basic Mediation Course
- December 4 - ONLINE FL - 8 hr Advanced Mediation Training (10hrs CLE/8hrCME)
- December 4 - ONLINE CA - Developing Your Collaborative Practice Signature
- December 5 - ONLINE CA - Intermediate Conflict Coaching
- December 6 - ONLINE CA - Belonging & Connecting Conversations for Peacebuilding
- December 7-11 - Austin Area TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- December 9-13 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training 40 hours (5 days) - Online
- December 10 - ONLINE VA - Managing Difficult Conversations: How to Make them Less Difficult
- December 11 - ONLINE TX - Arbitration Training ONLINE with ZOOM: live and interactive
- December 11-13 - ONLINE OK - 24-hour Civil Mediation Training – using Zoom
- December 18 - ONLINE FL - 8 hour Advanced Negotiation & Mediation Seminar
- January 11-12 - ONLINE TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- January 13-17 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training 40 hours (5 days)
- January 14 - ONLINE VA - Your Brain (and Body) on Conflict!
- January 15 - ONLINE AZ - Third Annual Schiefelbein Global Dispute Resolution Conference
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.