This Week in Mediation #885
June 9, 2021 - OUR 26TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Welcome to Mediate's new Great Reads Book Club! • Changing Standards • Mediators Like Online Mediation And Other Verifiable Facts • Diversity at the Mediation Table – How Do We Get There? • Married Mediators: Brad and Jane Honoroff• How to Help Parties With Disabilities Without Discriminating • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Welcome to Mediate's new Great Reads Book Club!
by Colin Rule
Mediate is now convening conversations focused on recently published conflict resolution books from popular and academic presses. Each gathering will be hosted and include a live hosted interview with the featured author followed by comments, questions and discussion. These book club gatherings are open to anyone, but do require pre-registration HERE. We are starting with Amanda Ripley’s new and stunningly good book High Conflict: Why We Get Trapped and How We Get Out, just published by Simon and Schuster. Peter Adler will be host and interview Amanda and then open the floor for discussion. This online book club gathering is on Friday, June 25, 2021 at 1pm EST.
by Clare Fowler
Mediate.com has been around for over 25 years! During this time, we have published nearly 20,000 articles and watched the mediation field grow throughout the world. We have also seen mediation practice standards change and improve, which is the topic of this article.
|NEW: K-12 Dispute Resolution 20-hour Training
This training is designed for those working with children and families. There is emphasis on school-related conflicts. Any school staff, faculty, administrator, or parent who is resolving disputes with students will benefit from the communication and de-escalation strategies provided in this training. This is a blend of theoretical understanding (“Why is this conflict escalating?”) and practical solutions (“Here are 5 steps for reaching an agreement.”). You do not need any dispute resolution experience for this course. This will teach you the basic processes for resolving an academic dispute, such as facilitated brainstorming and mediated discussions. Featuring Ken Cloke, Nina Meierding, and Clare Fowler as trainers.
|Mediators Like Online Mediation And Other Verifiable Facts
by James Claxton
This post provides an overview of some findings from an empirical study on online mediation. Nearly 500 mediators from around the world answered questions about advantages, obstacles, best practices, and settlement rates. The post provides an overview and analysis of English-language responses.
|Diversity at the Mediation Table – How Do We Get There?
by Maria Apostolidou and Melanie Koch
What do you think? Should there be quotas for training courses, universities, or even mediation sessions?
|Expanded Mediate.com Membership Benefits
Full information is at www.mediate.com/Membership
|Married Mediators: Brad and Jane Honoroff
An interview with Brad and Jane Honoroff about their different conflict styles and the future of conflict resolution. Recorded and shared as part of the Mediation 2020 Conference.
|How to Help Parties With Disabilities Without Discriminating
by Dan Berstein
When we perceive that someone may have a disability, it is common to think about ways to help that person. But assuming that someone needs help is paternalism, and it can be a form of discrimination.
|Online Mediation Training Forum Recordings Now Available
These 6 Forums on Online Mediation and Online Mediation Training were recently sponsored by Mediate.com and coordinated by Mediate.com's Task Force on Online Mediation Training. Each 2-hour Forum has been recorded and you are now able to watch all for free!
- April 23How Can We Best Support the Global Growth of Mediation? (recording)
- April 30 Forum on Online Mediation Training(recording)
- May 7 Forum on Standards, Ethics & New Technologies for Online Mediation (recording)
- May 14 Forum on Experiental Training and Mentoring (recording)
- May 21 Beyond Mediation: Collaborative Practice, Coaching & Limited Scope Representation (recording)
- May 28Online Mediation Training for Youth and Schools (recording)
|Mediation Renaissance Training - June 11 and 18 - FINAL CHANCE TO REGISTER
Online Mediation & The Future with Jim Melamed
June 11 and 18, 2021 (3 hours each day - 6 hours total). Online: 9 am to noon each day (Pacific Time).
Full information and registration is at www.Mediate.com/MediationRenaissance
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|CHECK OUT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY!
Convenient and Affordable Online Mediation Education - Over 30 Courses - 6 Month Course Access - CLE/CEU Credit
Professionals:Use coupon code "MEDIATE" to save 10% during June! - Alsosee our Group Discounts!
Top Selling Mediate University Courses:
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
Read All Mediation News
The Importance of Adding a Mediation Provision to Representations and Warranties Policies
After almost three years of experience mediating many of the pre-condition disputes, including those arising under representations and warranties policies, I still encourage parties to build into their policies a mediation provision. However, I would recommend the parties defer satisfying that condition until they have closed the information deficit from which they each suffer.
The Importance of Empathy and Effective Listening in Arbitration and Mediation
Regarding communications in arbitrations and mediations, a neutral who interacts with litigants from different backgrounds may wish to establish common ground, emphasize similarities, and establish empathy to help the litigants feel more comfortable in the exchange. Also, the participating attorneys representing the litigants may wish to build a rapport not only with their clients, but with the neutral in order to be more effective communicators and better listeners.
CMS funding dispute may be headed for mediation
On Tuesday, county commissioners passed a budget for next fiscal year but withheld $56 million in funding from local schools. The school board quickly announced plans to fight back.
Mediation fails between Florida, CDC over cruise line lawsuit
Mediation between Florida and the CDC over cruising has failed, the Governor's office confirmed to FOX 35 on Thursday.
NFL judge: Lawyers for Black players who challenged 'race-norming' can join mediation over issue
The federal judge presiding over the NFL's $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims on Thursday invited lawyers for Black players who call the settlement discriminatory to join court-led mediation over the issue.
International Mediation: The New Mode of the Future?
As global businesses have had to adapt to the curveballs thrown by COVID-19, innovation has sprung from adversity and the future of international trade is bright. One area of innovation is the continued development and adoption of the Singapore Convention on Mediation (“Singapore Convention”), which if ratified more widely in the coming years will provide an enforceable framework for international mediation.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Problem Solving Specialist - CA
- International Collaboration - Remote
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- June 10 - ONLINE VA - Dealing with Difficult People: Why do they seem difficult? What can you do about it?
- June 10-13 - ONLINE ID - 20 Hour Child Custody Mediation Course
- June 15-July 10 - ONLINE CA - Conflict Resolution & Mediation Skills Training
- June 16-19 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation - Fast Track Intense 4 Day Course
- June 16-23 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation Training ZOOM LIVE and INTERACTIVE
- June 21-29 - ONLINE - International Family Mediation Training
- June 21-25 - ONLINE CA - Basic Mediation - Fast Track Intense 4 Day Course
- June 22-25 - ONLINE ID - 20 Hr Mediating Cases with Domestic Violence
- June 23-27 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training 40 hours (5 days)
- July 7-8 - ONLINE BC Canada - The ADRBC Virtual Symposium
- July 8-9 - ONLINE CA - Summer 2021 Professional Skills Series - Six Online Courses
- July 10-31 - ONLINE TX - Mediator Certification Weekend Course Zoom Live Interactive Instruction
- July 12-13 - ONLINE VA - Mediating EEO and Workplace Disputes
- July 13-16 - ONLINE TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- July 14 - ONLINE TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- July 14-30 - ONLINE MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- July 15-16 - ONLINE CA - Summer 2021 Professional Skills Series - Six Online Courses
- July 16-24 - ONLINE OK - 40 Hr Oklahoma Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- July 19-22 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- July 20-23 - Dallas TX - Basic Mediation Training (40 Hours)
- July 20-21 - ONLINE VA - Mediating Complex and Multiparty Civil Cases
- July 26-28 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Civil/Advanced Family Mediation Training
- July 28-30 - ONLINE TX - Elder and Adult Family Mediation Training - ONLINE
- July 29-30 - ONLINE CA - Summer 2021 Professional Skills Series - Six Online Courses
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 22,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.