This Week in Mediation #715
February 13, 2018
Celebrating Our 23rd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Talking Stick Breaks Impasse • Make Mediation a Life Skill and a Core Value • Mediating With Sharks Is No Walk In The Park • Gone, But Not Forgotten • Interview with Joseph Stulberg • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Talking Stick Breaks Impasse|
by Ronald S. Kraybill
Divided Democrats and Republicans found a way to talk this week, and actually listened to each other, using a talking stick!
|Make Mediation a Life Skill and a Core Value|
by Jan Sunoo
Mediation is not neutral. The process itself is full of implicit principles and valuable life lessons.
|Mediating With Sharks Is No Walk In The Park|
by Randy Drew
It is important to Praise Publicly & Quadrate Privately.
|Join Mediate.com as a Premium Member|
Mediate.com is the most visited and most linked mediation website, by a mile.
Save on membership this week at www.mediate.com/Membership
|Northwestern University's 40-hour Mediation Skills Training Course - 2018 Dates|
Northwestern's 40-hour Mediation Skills Training allows legal professionals and career changers to learn critical dispute resolution, arbitration, and mediation skills. Grounded in fundamental and practical techniques, the certificate can be used for mandatory continuing education credits. Northwestern’s mediation instructors are industry experts and challenge students to practice mediation skills using real-world examples. Students work closely with coaches in individual and group settings and learn the ethics of commercial mediation and arbitration. The intensive, five-day course is held Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Upcoming 2018 Dates: April 16 – 20; July 30 – August 3; October 29 – November 2. Full info is: HERE.
|Interview with Joseph Stulberg|
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Joe Stuhlberg, a leading mediation law professor, filmed as part of Mediate.com's "'Views from the Eye of the Storm' Video Series.
|Gone, But Not Forgotten|
by Steven Goldman
Strive to create a conflict free zone in your work and home interactions.
|Double Your Referrals as a Mediate.com Featured Mediator|
Sale: Premium Membership+Featured Mediator Placement (Save $170/yr) ORDER
Already a Premium Member? Featured Mediator Placement (Save $100/yr) ORDER
|International Ombudsman Association 13th Annual Conference - April 23-25 in Richmond VA |
Attend the IOA Annual conference and become a more effective catalyst for change within your organizations. Boost your awareness, knowledge and skills with keynote and plenary speakers, workshops, presentations, and panel discussions address. Professional development courses will be held April 20-22.
Featured Mediation Blogs|
Read All Featured Blogs
|Affordable Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable and convenient basic and divorce mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are available at: www.mediate.com/University.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search all News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Waukegan police to get training on emotional intelligence, diversity and change after federal mediation
The Waukegan Police Department will be the focus of continued diversity and other training started in the wake of a Department of Justice-mediated agreement.
- Important Considerations in Selecting the Right Mediator
One of the fundamental components of a mediation is, of course, the mediator. Continuing the Manufacturing Industry Advisor’s series on mediation, we discuss how to select the right mediator for resolution of your dispute.
- King County teens hold peers accountable through unique crime mediation program
SEATTLE - While some teenage criminals are sent to jail, there's a King County program that aims to keep them out.
- Mediation Skills Are Crucial for Trial Lawyers
Whether early or late in a case, mediation is often the critical event which leads to a conclusion of the case. Therefore, mediating effectively may be among the most important of a trial lawyer’s skills.
- Never too early, too late, to mediate
Too often people in conflict believe their conflict has to reach epic proportions before seeking a dispute resolution process such as mediation, or they believe a situation may be too far gone to resolve. However, mediation can be very helpful at any stage of a conflict.
- Mediation with liquor licensees a good idea
We believe that the proposed mediation alternative would help businesses and communities work together to improve the operation of these establishments.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Education Mediation Specialist - MD
- Equal Employment Specialist - Location Varies
- Mediation Manager - CA
- Program Manager - MD
- Conflict Program Career Director - CA
- Mediation Program Director - HI
- Conflict Resolution Program Assistant - OR
- Assistant Ombuds - CA
- University Ombuds and Director - NC
- Program Associate - CO
- Community Coordinator w/ mediation- AZ
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- February 16-18 - Kensington, MD - 24-Hour Business & Employment Mediation Training
- February 19-21 - Austin, TX - 30 Hour Advanced Family Mediation Training
- February 20-23 - Miami, FL - CPR & CEDR Advanced Mediation Skills Training
- February 20-24 - Santa Monica, CA - Mediation Training with Ken Cloke Spring, 2018
- February 25-March 18 - New Brunswick, NJ - 40-Hour Basic Civil Mediation Training
- February 26-March 2 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training (42 Hours)
- February 28-March 9 - Medford, OR - Fundamentals of Mediation Training
- March 3 - April 7 - Berkeley, CA - Ron's Mediation Training in Berkeley
- March 7-16 - Corte Madera, CA - 40 hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 7-8 - Austin, TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- March 7-11 - Miami, FL - Civil Mediation Certification Training (40 hrs)
- March 8-11 - San Diego, CA - Four Day Family Law Mediation Training
- March 15-24 - Lexington, MA - Divorce Mediation Training with John Fiske and Diane Neumann
- March 17 - Orlando, FL - Pro Se Divorce Mediation Workshop
- March 19-24 - Memphis, TN - Family Mediation Traning 46 hours
- March 21-22 - Austin, TX - 20-hour Arbitration Training
- March 25-28 - Troutdale, OR - Capacity Building in Environmental Conflict: An Intensive 30-hour Workshop
- March 27 - New York NY - Neuroscience in Mediation and Negotiation
- March 31-April 16 - St. Johnsbury VT - Divorce Mediation Training, 40 hours
- April 2-6 - Macon GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- April 4-7 - Washington DC - ABA Section on Dispute Resolution Annual Conference
- April 5-6 - Corte Madera CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- April 10-14 - Los Angeles, CA - Mediating Commercial and Litigated Cases with Lee Jay Berman
- April 12-15 - San Antonio TX - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 12-May 24 - Online - Conflict Management Coaching: The CINERGY Model
- April 12-21 - Victor NY - ACR-Approved Family & Divorce Mediation Training
- April 16-20 - Austin Area TX - Mediators & Arbitrators of America (aka Mediators of Texas)
- April 16-20 - Chicago IL - Mediation Skills Training Certificate Program
- April 16-18 - San Antonio TX - Advanced Family Mediation Training
- April 17-21 - Reno NV - 40-Hour Beginning Mediation and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- April 19-23 - Kensington MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- April 20-21 - Richmond VA - Conflict: Theory and Applications for the Organizational Ombudsman (2 days)
- April 20-21 - Indianapolis IN - Advanced Mediator Training
- April 20-22 - Richmond VA - Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Practice (3 days)
- April 21 - Orlando FL - Pro Se Divorce Mediation Training
- April 23-25 - Richmond VA - International Ombudsman Association 13th Annual Conference
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 26,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.