This Week in Mediation #812
January 15, 2019 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Somewhere Between Reasonable and Crazy • Negotiating with My Client • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Somewhere Between Reasonable and Crazy|
by John Lande
The very touching Netflix movie, Marriage Story, provides an unusually realistic depiction of divorce dynamics.
|Negotiating with My Client|
by Varsha Manoj
As a freshly minted lawyer, I came to a realization within a few months of joining the workforce - my very expensive university education prepared me for only half the battle.
|PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP & FEATURED PLACEMENT JANUARY OFFERS|
20% Savings! Join Mediate as a Premium Member and/or become a Featured Mediator at 20% off! See: www.mediate.com/Services.
|5 (Perhaps Unexpected) Ways to Reduce Legal Fees When Getting a Divorce|
by Carrie Gour
For anyone going through a litigated or high conflict divorce which can be very expensive, Kathleen Wells, lead partner at Wells Family Law shares her top 5 tips for keeping costs down.
|American Bar Association - Section of Dispute Resolution - Annual Spring Conference|
The 2020 ABA DR Spring Conference will be held April 22-25, 2020 at the Sheraton New Orleans. Whether you are new to dispute resolution or have been practicing for decades, the 2020 ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Conference has something for you. The Conference begins on April 22 with the Symposium on ADR in the Courts and run through April 25 featuring over 70 concurrent CLE programs, multiple dedicated networking opportunities, and culminates with the Legal Educators' Colloquium April 25. Register HERE
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANNUAL CLE/CEU AT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY - 20% OFF EVERY COURSE DURING JANUARY|
Special: All Mediate University online courses are 20% off if ordered during January at: www.Mediate.com/University. 6 Month Access! See Specials:
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
READ ALL MEDIATION NEWS
Misconceptions and Benefits of Family Law Mediation
Mediation provides divorcing spouses and separating parents with the opportunity to take control of their future by investing their time and energy in resolving these issues without the necessity of litigation.
France, Germany, UK Blame Iran for Violating Nuclear Deal, Trigger Mediation
France, Germany, and the UK announced they have triggered a formal dispute resolution process in response to Iranian violations of the 2015 nuclear deal, according to statements released by European diplomats on Jan. 14.
Mediation ordered in U.D.-Clifton middle school fight
MEDIA COURTHOUSE — Clifton Heights Borough and the Upper Darby School District have agreed to participate in at least five sessions of non-binding mediation to work out their intergovernmental dispute about building a new middle school in the borough.
‘Windy City Rehab’ host wants homeowner lawsuit dismissed in favor of mediation
Attorneys for “Windy City Rehab” host Alison Victoria Gramenos are asking a Cook County judge to dismiss a lawsuit brought by a North Side couple unhappy with their home purchase so the issues can be worked out with a mediator. Gramenos has also expressed interest in buying back the home herself.
State, in Mediation, Seeks Six Years for Ethiopian Israeli Protester Who Torched Police Car
The state has charged a man who allegedly torched a police vehicle during a protest in July against the shooting death of Ethiopian-Israeli Solomon Teka by an off-duty policeman. In a preliminary mediation hearing, the state said it may seek a six-year prison term, as the defendant had prior convictions.
Nonprofit view: Don’t wait for a conflict to get out of hand — use mediation
Too often people in conflict believe their conflict has to reach epic proportions before seeking a dispute resolution process such as mediation, or they believe a situation might be too far gone to resolve.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR|
Caseload Manager is now used by over 150 mediation, ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), International Red Cross, and ICANN itself! See our Representative Clients and arrange for your personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Family Case Manager - DC
- Labor Relations Specialist - TX
- Senior Program Manager - IL
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Mediator - MA
- Mediation Associate - CT
- HR and EEO VP - CA
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution Officer - NY
- Fellows Program - NY
- Human Resources Specialist - WA
- Mediator - Locations vary
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- January 16-18 - Toronto ON Canada - Learn to Meet & Interview Children for ADR: 12 Step VCR (Reports)
- January 17 - Phoenix AZ - Second Annual Schiefelbein Global Dispute Resolution Conference
- January 20-23 - San Antonio TX - Basic Mediation 40 Hour 4-Day Course
- January 21-23 - Los Angeles CA - 30 Hour Restorative Justice Training
- January 23-27 - Rockville MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- January 28-31 - Dallas TX - Basic Mediation 40 Hour 4-Day Course
- January 29-February 1 - Houston TX - Basic Mediation Training in Houston’s Uptown-Galleria
- February 3-7 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- February 5-8 - Port Coquitlam BC Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- February 6-22 - Irvine CA - Mediating the Litigated Case - Irvine - February 6-8 and 20-22, 2020
- February 11 - Phoenix AZ - 3rd Annual Bruce E. Meyerson Lecture - The Psychology of Persuasion and Pre-Suasion
- February 17-21 - Austin Area TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- February 20-21 - Berkeley CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- February 24-28 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- February 24-27 - Ottawa ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- February 24-29 - Los Angeles CA - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- February 25-March 4 - New York NY - Basic Mediation Training: Conflict Resolution Theory & Techniques
- March 4-6 - Houston TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- March 5-9 - Rockville MD - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- March 6 - Houston TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- March 11-20 - Corte Madera CA - 40 hour Mediation Training
- March 12-13 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- March 16-18 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- March 18 - New York NY - Neuroscience in Mediation and Negotiation
- March 20 - Richmond VA - Dispute Resolution Summit
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 19,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.