This Week in Mediation #818
February 26, 2020 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Reframing: A Conflict Resolver's Superpower • Charlie Young Interview - Mediation in Schools and Prisons • The Law Can Be Dangerous to Lawyers' Mental Health • Benefits of Volunteer Mediation • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Reframing: A Conflict Resolver's Superpower|
by Christopher Sheesley
Mediators also have a range of powers, and I believe that “reframing” is our equivalent of flying.
|Charlie Young Interview - Mediation in Schools and Prisons|
This is an interview with Charlie Young by Clare Fowler discussing how mediation principles can be applied in schools and prisons.
|PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP & FEATURED PLACEMENT FEBRUARY OFFERS|
February Savings: Join Mediate as a Premium Member and/or become a Featured Mediator at 20% off during February! See: www.mediate.com/Services.
|The Law Can Be Dangerous to Lawyers' Mental Health|
by John Lande
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The law can be a very dangerous thing./td>
Benefits of Volunteer Mediation|
by Kayla Matthews
As a legal professional, it’s your job to pick sides. Whether you’re a lawyer fighting a case or a paralegal gathering the evidence to back it up, your aim is to make a strong argument for your client.
|Optimizing Family Mediation - Today and Tomorrow with Jim Melamed - March 20 Workshop in Scottsdale, AZ|
The Maricopa County Association of Family Mediators invites you to a special workshop: Optimizing Family Mediation - Today and Tomorrow with Jim Melamed, J.D., CEO of Mediate.com. Registration ends March 16th. Space is limited. Register HERE
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs |
|TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANNUAL CLE/CEU AT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY - 20% OFF EVERY COURSE DURING FEBRUARY|
All Mediate University online courses are 20% off if ordered during February at: www.Mediate.com/University.
6 Month Access! Special offers this month:
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
READ ALL MEDIATION NEWS
Tips for a Successful EEOC Mediation
After an EEOC charge is filed, the EEOC may elect to hold mediation at their offices if both parties are willing. Mediation may resolve the dispute without the need for litigation. To improve the chance of a successful resolution, both parties need to have reasonable expectations, come prepared, and consider factors other than monetary terms.
Can opening statements for mediation be skipped? Tips for attorneys and mediators
There has been a lot written recently about how to start a mediation: with or without opening remarks by the participants, and with or without an opening statement by the mediator.
A Goldilocks Approach for Mediation Standards
When Frank Sander proposed the “multi-door courthouse” at the Pound Conference in 1976, he probably could not have imagined how widespread the use of mediation would be today in the United States and around the world.
Re-imagining Conflict Mediation and the Role of Religion
This winter, Seton Hall's Center for Peace and Conflict Studies hosted a delegation of officers from Zurich's Center for Security Studies, who challenged the Seton Hall community to reimagine conflict resolution approaches with religious dimensions.
UN Convention that promotes mediation to resolve trade disputes moves closer to entry into force
Singapore and Fiji have become the first countries to ratify a UN treaty that promotes mediation as an alternative and effective method for resolving trade disputes, thus marking an important step towards its entry into force.
Mediation: Don’t Just Mail It In
Mediation requires preparation, and not just in preparing a mediation statement for the mediator's utility. There are two things specifically that attorneys should do in most cases prior to the mediation.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR|
Caseload Manager is now used by over 160 mediation, ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), International Red Cross, and ICANN itself! See our Representative Clients and arrange for your personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Case Management Supervisor - OR
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
- Human Resources Specialist - WA
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- March 4-6 - Houston TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- March 5-9 - Rockville MD - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- March 6 - Houston TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- March 7-April 4 - San Francisco CA - Ron's Mediator Certificate Training at BASF
- March 10-13 - Fairfax VA - Mediation Skills and Process
- March 11-20 - Corte Madera CA - 40 hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 12-13 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- March 16-18 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- March 18 - New York NY - Neuroscience in Mediation and Negotiation
- March 18 - Los Angeles CA - USC Gould Center for Dispute Resolution Fifth Annual Symposium
- March 20 - Richmond VA - Dispute Resolution Summit
- March 23 - ONLINE Webinar: What Does it Mean to be White? A Space to Learn and Explore
- March 26-27 - Corte Madera CA Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 27 - Fairfax VA - Orientation to the Virginia Judicial System
- March 27-28 - Houston TX - Parenting Coordination and Facilitation Training
- March 30-April 1 - Portland OR - International Ombudsman Association Annual Conference
- March 30-April 3 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- April 1-3 - Greenbelt MD - Cross-Border Family Mediation Training
- April 2-4 - Toronto ON Canada - Learn to Meet & Interview Children: Voice of the Child 12 Step VCR
- April 3 - San Francisco CA - Facing Your Toughest Mediation Challenge
- April 4-May 9 - Somerset NJ - NJAPM 40-Hour Divorce Mediation Training, Spring 2020
- April 6-9 - New Braunfels TX - Basic Mediation Training - 40 Hours
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.