This Week in Mediation #864
January 12, 2021 - OUR 26TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Best 10 Books About Mediation Ever Written • 10 Actions We Can Take to Turn Adversarial, Autocratic, Power-Based Political Conflicts into Collaborative, Democratic, Interest-Based Social Problem Solving • Pandemic Pivot - ADR Poised for Prominence During Recovery • Egalitarian Change – Our Roles and Responsibilities • 5 Zoom Lessons for Leaders • How To Screw Up a Mediation in our Brave New World • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Best 10 Books About Mediation Ever Written
by Frank Hamilton
The difference in opinions, beliefs, views, values, and desires, plus the need to establish supremacy of one over the others often causes conflicts to arise in different situations.
|10 Actions We Can Take to Turn Adversarial, Autocratic, Power-Based Political Conflicts into Collaborative, Democratic, Interest-Based Social Problem Solving
by Kenneth Cloke
Because democracy is open, it is vulnerable to demagogues and autocrats; yet because it is open, it is also resilient, able to learn and improve, and responsive to popular wisdom.
|Pandemic Pivot - ADR Poised for Prominence During Recovery
by Tracy Allen
Never have we been more needed, and never have we needed to be more flexible
|MEDIATE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP (Save During January!)
|Egalitarian Change – Our Roles and Responsibilities
by Charles Crumpton
“Never let a good crisis go to waste” – Alistair McIntosh
|5 Zoom Lessons for Leaders
by George Siedel
During the pandemic, business leaders can learn from educators about overcoming the communication challenges that video conferencing platforms present.
|How To Screw Up a Mediation in our Brave New World
by Christopher Nolland
FUBAR Zoom mediation: A Field Guide for Mediators. FUBAR = Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition
|CHECK OUT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY AT MediateUniversity.com - Convenient and Affordable Online Mediation Education - Over 30 Courses - 6 Month Course Access - CLE/CEU Credit - Professionals: Use coupon code "MEDIATE" to save 10% during January! - See: Group Discounts.
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|"A MEDIATION RENAISSANCE" - Training with Jim Melamed - February 5 and 19
Online Mediation & The Future - Skills, Strategies & Issues - Sponsored by the Mediation Council of Illinois & Mediate.com - February 5 & 19, 2021 (3 hours each day - 6 hours total) - Online: noon to 3:15 pm each day (Central time). Early Registration available HERE
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
Read All Mediation News
Legal Problems between Business Partners Can be Resolved with Mediation Tools in Costa Rica
It is important that Tico companies have a shareholders agreement, real statutes and good advice to understand how to apply corporate governance
Court urges family to make efforts to mediate in dispute over hotel business
A High Court judge has urged that further efforts be made to mediate a dispute between family members over the running of a company that owns hotels in Dublin and Galway employing 180 people.
EEOC Announces Extension of Act Mediation Pilot
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), today announced that it was extending the pilot program that expanded opportunities to voluntarily resolve charges through mediation through Sept. 30, 2021.
Why we need more women mediators
Nevertheless, there is also a deeper meaning to mediation. It is to reveal how conflict and peace share a similar human face: fear, anger, hope and social belonging.
Changes to the California Family Rights Act and Small Employer Family Leave Mediation
California Governor Newsom signed Senate Bill 1383 (SB 1383) which greatly expanded the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). Changes include: Expanded Definition of Family Members – The list of family members is expanded to include siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and domestic partners. Additionally, the definition of “child” now covers all adult children as well as children of a domestic partner.
Clear Space, theater complex opponents enter into mediation
With new public hearings scheduled, former AG Gebelein agrees to help groups reach consensus
Moving America forward: lessons from the mediation table
As a mediator, I have helped thousands of people, some of them diametrically opposed, find compromise. Along the way, I’ve learned valuable lessons that can be applied on a larger scale to help our nation find a way forward.
|Contributions Now Wanted For New Book: “Family Conflict During a Pandemic: Stories of Struggle and Hope.”
We are looking for stories, accounts of families who struggled during the pandemic and who found ways to manage or resolve conflicts—on their own or with professional help. Contributions may be in English or an author’s first language. If other than English, it would be helpful—but not necessary—to provide an English translation. Desired length: 250-600 words. Please also submit a bio of 75 words. Submission deadline: January 31, 2021. This is a philanthropic venture, no one involved in the project benefits financially. For more info and to submit a contribution, contact Michael Lang: email@example.com
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services - Congo
- Mediator (Part or Full Time) (Initially Remote) - NY, NJ, PA
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- January 14 - ONLINE VA - Your Brain (and Body) on Conflict!
- January 15 - ONLINE AZ - Third Annual Schiefelbein Global Dispute Resolution Conference
- January 18 - ONLINE TX- 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- January 19 - ONLINE TX - 20 Hour Arbitration Training
- January 22 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- January 22-31 - ONLINE TX - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- January 26-February 4 - 40-Hour Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- January 28 - ONLINE VA - Introduction to Conflict Coaching
- January 28-31 - ONLINE ID - 20 hour Restorative Justice Mediation Training
- January 28-February 12 - ONLINE CA - Mediating the Litigated Case - ONLINE
- January 29 - ONLINE - Advanced Parenting Plan Mediation - With Focus on Children under Five and over 15 Years
- January 29 - ONLINE FL - The Art of MEDIATION
- February 1-28 - ONLINE TX - Online Basic Mediation 40-Hour - Live Video Classroom
- February 4-21 - ONLINE ID - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training via Zoom
- February 4 - ONLINE TX - The Legal and Ethical Responsibilities of Culture Awareness and Sensitivity within a Diverse Workforce
- February 4 - ONLINE NY - Guess What – Your Online Mediation May Not Be Confidential
- February 5-6 - ONLINE TX - Parenting Coordination and Facilitation Training -Zoom Live
- February 8-11 - ONLINE CANADA - Alternative Dispute Resolution Workshop
- February 11 - ONLINE - Practical Assertiveness: Mean what you say, say what you mean, and don’t say it mean!
- February 12 - ONLINE FL - The Art of MEDIATION
- February 12 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- February 15-19 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- February 17-21 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training 40 hours (5 days)
- February 18-March 6 - ONLINE CA - Community Boards: The Basics of Mediation - ONLINE
- February 19-March 26 - ONLINE - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (French)
- February 19-27 - ONLINE OK - 40 Hr National Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- February 22-24 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training - Online
- February 23-March 17 - ONLINE ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (Virtual)
- February 25 - ONLINE - Are You Talking to ME?!! - Dealing with Difficult People.
- March 1-12 - ONLINE - LIVE Mediating Online: Family & Divorce Mediation
- March 3-6 - ONLINE TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- March 3-12 - Online - 40 hour Mediation Training - Live Webinar
- March 5 - ONLINE TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- March 6-14 - ONLINE TX - 30-hour Family Mediation Training
- March 8-April 6 - ONLINE TX - Communicate & Manage Conflict with Verbal Aikido
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.