This Week in Mediation #661
January 11, 2017
Our 22nd Year! - Membership information
|In This Issue:
When Conflict In The Workplace Escalates To Emotional Abuse • 4 Things You Should Know About Civil Mediation • Mediating With Advocates • The "Smart" of Compromise in Mediation • Interview with Marvin Johnson • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|When Conflict In The Workplace Escalates To Emotional Abuse |
by Noa Zanolli
Millions of men and women of all ages, ethnic, and racial backgrounds all across the U.S. hate going to work, gradually fall into despair and often become gravely ill. Some flee from jobs they used to love, others endure the situation unable to figure a way out.
|Interview with Marvin Johnson |
by Marvin E. Johnson
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Marvin Johnson, a national leader in the field of dispute resolution generally and on issues of elevating diversity in the ADR field, filmed as part of Mediate.com's 'Views from the Eye of the Storm' Video Series.
|APFM 2017 Annual Conference: Professional Family Mediation from A to Z|
Join the Academy of Professional Family Mediators for our annual conference in Memphis, TN March 30 – April 2. Pre-conference and Conference registration is open online. Early bird registration ends February 1. You can find a list of all workshops, plenary sessions, and social events on the APFM website. We look forward to having you at this year’s conference and enjoying all that Memphis has to offer, including a visit to the civil rights museum, BBQ & more! Full information is here.
|4 Things You Should Know About Civil Mediation |
by Chris McHallam
While you may already be familiar with the process and its benefits there are a few important facts those considering mediation for a legal issue their business is facing should know.
|Mediating With Advocates|
by Steven Goldman
Isn’t it reassuring knowing you have someone in your corner to advocate for you?
|The "Smart" of Compromise in Mediation |
by Earlene Baggett-Hayes
The mediator’s options in compromise situations depends on the parties’ receptivity to the process.
|March 2017 Mediation Trainings with Steven Rosenberg
Full information is at www.RosenbergMediation.com
- March 1-10: 40-hour Mediation Training in San Rafael, CA
A dynamic interactive, 40 hour professional training program utilizing simulations, coaching, lectures and demonstrations. March 1-3 & 8-10, 2017.
- March 23-24 - Advanced Mediation Training in San Rafael, CA
A two-day, limited enrollment advanced mediation training. This interactive training is designed for those who would like to improve their established mediation skills.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|Mediate.com Certification Program|
Are you eligible for Mediate.com Certification? See www.mediate.com/Certification
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Ohio court of claims provides public records claims program
This program is meant to be “an expeditious and economical procedure” to resolve public records disputes, and mediation has proven to be a fast, nearly cost-free way to clear up misunderstandings, explore creative solutions, and reach compromises.
- The Mediation Toolbox: What's at Your Disposal at Every Step?
If you ask most people, they would likely say that lawyers are a necessary evil. If you ask most lawyers, they would likely say that mediation is a necessary evil.
- Mediation is an effective tool for elder family issues
Mediation, long considered to be an alternative to lengthy expensive divorce actions, can also be used in other contexts, notably where there is a dispute among adult children regarding frail, disabled and incapacitated parents.
- Sides in Helmerich Park dispute going to mediation this week
This aerial photo shows the proposed site of a development that may include an REI store near 71st Street and Riverside Drive, on land that is now part of Helmerich Park.
- BLM Land Dispute Continues With Mediation Session
Attorneys for the land owners filed suit against the BLM in 2015 over the seizure of 90,000 acres of private property along the Red River. If mediation is not successful, the case could go to trial in July.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Regional Coordinator - CA
- Ombudsman - DC
- EEO Officer - NY
- Child Facilitator / Mediator - CO
- Issue Resolution Facilitator - OR
- Ombudsman Mediator - CA
- Magistrate - NC
|Online Mediation CLE - CEU |
Get affordable mediation training and continuing education online at www.mediate.com/University
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- January 12-13 - Toronto, CAN - Advanced Parenting Coordination
- January 18-19 - Round Rock, TX - Cultural Awareness, Conflict Prevention and Sensitivity Training
- January 20-21 - San Rafael, CA - Complex Issues in Child Custory Evaluations
- January 24-26 - Round Rock, TX - Advanced Family Mediation Class
- January 26 - February 3 - Medford, OR - Restorative Justice Facilitator Training
- January 27 - February 5 - Los Angeles- Looking for a new approach to family law?
- January 28 - Lost Angeles, CA - Grow Your Mediation Practice Now! with Lee Jay Berman
- February 4-12 - San Francisco, CA - The Basics of Mediation - 40 hours
- February 6-10 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- February 8-9 - Austin, TX - 20-hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- February 9-25 - Irvine, CA - Mediating the Litigated Case
- February 9 - Newport Beach, CA - Detox Your Life from High Conflict People
- February 13-16 - Austin, TX - Basic Mediation Class
- February 15-17 - Toronto, CAN - Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- February 21 - Austin, TX - Basic Arbitration Training Course
- February 22-23 - Austin, TX - Elder Care Mediation Class
- February 23-26 - San Diego, CA - Looking for a new approach to family law
- February 25-28 - Austin, TX - 8 Hour Communicating Success/Cultural Awareness and Sensitivity Training
- February 27-March 3 - Macon, GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- February 28-March 1 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- March 1-10 - San Rafael, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 1-10 - Medford, OR - Fundamentals of Mediation Training
- March 2 - April 6 - Online - Spring 2017 CINERGY Conflict Management Coaching Virtual Training
- March 3-12 - Santa Fe, NM - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.