This Week in Mediation #696
September 20, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
10 Things to Consider Before Signing a Prenuptial Agreement • What Are The Fundamental Dimensions of Social Relationships? • Gerry Spence, Marshall McLuhan, and What Lawyers Do In Mediation • Interview with Randy Lowry • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|10 Things to Consider Before Signing a Prenuptial Agreement|
by Debbie Smith
So you need to determine things to consider before signing a prenuptial agreement and don’t know where to start?
|What Are The Fundamental Dimensions of Social Relationships?|
by Peter T. Coleman
10 Big Ideas on Peace and Justice from the Career of Morton Deutsch: Focusing on Social Relationships.
|EMA Launches Second Course: Mediation Skills|
Edwards Mediation Academy (EMA) announces an online course designed for a new audience including ombuds, H.R. professionals, risk managers, business leaders and politicians. The goal at Edwards Mediation Academy is to provide the best available industry knowledge combined with real world lessons, embodying the slogan, "where theory meets practice.” The Mediation Skills Course provides 40 hours of instruction, role plays and interviews with industry colleagues from JAMS, Pepperdine, Stanford and beyond. All EMA Courses are accredited with the California Bar Association where students earn CLE credits. Please try the Complementary Module on Principles.
|Gerry Spence, Marshall McLuhan, and What Lawyers Do In Mediation|
by Arthur Pressman
Noted lawyer Gerry Spence is as accomplished a painter as he is a trial lawyer. In both of these activities Spence creates canvases. More importantly, he understands in both pursuits that he is the painter and not the painting.
|Interview with Randy Lowry|
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Randy Lowry, President of Lipscomb University and founder of the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine.
|3rd Annual Professional Skills Program at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN - October 19-21|
Pepperdine’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution is again partnering with the Institute for Conflict Management (ICM) at Lipscomb University for this exceptional program! Featuring a panel of nationally recognized experts in dispute resolution, the Professional Skills Program provides two and one-half days of unique educational opportunities for practicing professionals. Participants network with nationally prominent faculty as well as participants from the other specialties at plenary sessions, lunches, and receptions. Register early for a $100 discount off regular registration, and first 50 participants receive a complimentary Grand Ole Opry ticket! Early enrollment is also recommended as many sessions fully subscribe. Full information is here or contact Lori Rushford at (310) 506-6342 or email Lori.Rushford@pepperdine.edu to enroll. CLE and CE available.
|Comparative Data on Mediation Websites|
September 2017 data from Alexa showing the most visited and most linked mediation websites.
|Mediate Membership & Certification Badges|
Confirm your credibility by sharing your Premium Membership and Certification Badges with clients and referral sources on your website. When visitors click on your badge(s), they are taken directly to confirming information at Mediate.com. More information is at: www.mediate.com/Membership and www.mediate.com/Certification.\
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|Get the Most Cases with Featured Mediator Placement|
Featured Mediator Placement puts your picture, name and website at the top of every page of Mediate.com. Full information is here.
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Mediation and Ombuds Program Case Managment System!|
Caseload Manager is your best answer for mediation and ombuds program case management. Full information is at www.CaseloadManager.com. NOTE: FREE NAFCM 30 Minute Caseload Manager Webinar, Thursday, October 26th, 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern reviewing Advanced Features, such as Automated Deadlines, Exporting and Creating Templates. Register HERE.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Mediator who brokered Boko Haram deal to release Chibok girls is UNHCR's 2017 Nansen Refugee Award winner
The Nansen Refugee Award recognizes extraordinary humanitarian work on behalf of refugees, the internally displaced or stateless people. UNHCR, the United Nations' refugee agency, announced Monday that the 2017 recipient is Mustapha, a lawyer and mediator from Borno State in northeast Nigeria.
- Celebrating 30 years of community mediation
When your mission is to ameliorate disputes, it’s hard to quantify the scope of your effectiveness. How does one measure the absence of strife?
- As 108th lawsuit is filed against church, mediation efforts are stalled
The latest lawsuit once again names Father Louis Brouillard as the alleged perpetrator. Although assurances were given that mediation in the scores of sex abuse lawsuits would be completed sometime next month, it looks as though it may not happen until next year. And with that announcement comes more lawsuits being filed against the Archdiocese of Agana.
- Ill inmate's case resolved in mediation
A case in which a seriously ill inmate at the State Correctional Institution at Somerset said he was forced to crawl to a wheelchair before being taken to the infirmary has been resolved through mediation, according to an order filed by U.S. Magistrate Lisa Pupo Lenihan of Pittsburgh.
- $15.1M Verdict for Fatal Police Shooting Goes to Mediation
The family and estate of Leonard Thomas and the Lakewood Police Department will be meeting with a mediator to see if the two parties can come up with a revised settlement amount after a jury awarded the family $15.1 million in July.
- Flanagan launches brochure promoting mediation in farm disputes
Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan has launched a new Mediators’ Institute of Ireland brochure promoting mediation in farm disputes.
- Boom in e-commerce calls for online mediation services
HANGZHOU,(Xinhua) -- How to make legal documents via voice recognition technology and how to reach online settlements on e-commerce disputes were among topics discussed at a meeting on mediation held Tuesday in Hangzhou, capital of east China's Zhejiang Province.
|Online Basic 40-hr Beginning Mediation Course at Special Price!|
Join Dr. Clare Fowler for her excellent 40-hr Basic Mediation Training now for only $345! Certificate and CLE credit are available. Full information is here.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Ombuds - SC
- Ombudsman - NC
- Employee Relations Specialist - MI
- Mediator - OH
- Mediation Specialist - NV
- Employee and Labor Relations Analyst - OR
- Governmental Mediator - IL
- Mediator I/II - CA
- Restorative Justice Specialist. Community Based - OR
- Conflict Resolution Professor - NY
|Affordable Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are at: www.mediate.com/University.
|REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS|
The Judiciary Power of the State of Morelos, Mexico is searching for lecturers on mediation and workshops for the 1st International Congress on Sciences of Happiness, Culture of Peace and Good Living that is going to be held in the City of Cuernavaca, on December 8, 9 and 10, 2017. We cover all of the expenses (round trip ticket, transportation, hotel and meals, trips around our state and an acknowledgement from The Judiciary Power). If you are interested, please send an email to email@example.com for details.
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- September 21 - Online - Ombuds as a Conflict Resolution Trainer - IOA
- September 22 - Online - Live Webinar: Preventing Impasse: It All Depends on What You Do in the Morning with Doug Noll
- September 22 - Springfield, MO - Restorative Justice In Missouri
- September 22 - Anchorage, AK - Conflict Resolution in the Workplace Training
- September 22-23 - Berkeley, CA Navigating Conflict for Therapists
- September 22-24 - Kensington, MD - 20-houir Child Access Mediation Training
- September 23 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator?
- September 26 - Online - Reflective Practice – The Artful Mastery of Mediation with Michael Lang and Susan Terry
- September 26-November 18 - Greenfield, MA - Basic Mediation Training
- September 26-28 - Colorado Springs, CO - Workplace Medation Training - 24 hrs
- September 26-November 18 - Greenfield, MA - Basic Mediation Training
- September 28-30 - Akron, PA - Fall 2017 Basic Mediation Training - 3 Days
- October 1-22 - New Brunswick, NJ - 40-hour Basic Civil Mediation Training
- October 2-6 - San Antonio, TX - 38th Annual Conference
- October 2-6 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- October 2-6 - Denver, CO - Basic Mediation Training 40 hours
- October 4-13 - Corte Madera, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 5-6 - Ellicott City, MD - 20 hour Parenting and Child Access Mediation Training
- October 7-28 - Monroe Township, NJ - NJAPM 40-hour Divorce Mediation Training
- October 7-November 4 - San Francisco, CA - Ron's Mediator Certificate Training at BASF
- October 10-28 - Santa Ana, CA - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 11-20 - New Haven, CT - 40-Hour Mediation Certificate Program
- October 12 - Toronto, ON CAN - Med-Arb: Efficiency or Justice Compromised?
- October 12-14 - Roanoke, VA - Basic Mediation Training
- October 14 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator
- October 14-22 - San Francisco, CA - Basics of Mediation
- October 16-27 - Nationwide Test Centers - Certified Organizational Ombudsman Practitioner® Exam
- October 18-20 - St. John's NL CAN - ADRIC 2017: ADR & Access to Justice
- October 18-21 - Eugene, OR - Restoring Focus on the Child: CADRE’s Seventh National Symposium on Special Education Dispute Resolution
- October 19-20 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- October 19-21 - Nashville, TN - 3rd Annual Fall Professional Skills Program (Pepperdine & Lipscomb)
- Ocrtober 19-20 - Malibu, CA - ABA Section for Dispute Resolution 15th Annual Advanced Mediation & Advocacy Skills Institute
- October 19-23 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- October 20-28 - Rochester, NY - ACR-Approved Family & Divorce Mediation Training
- October 21 - Los Angeles, CA - AIM Institute Advanced Track at the SCMA Annual Conference
- October 21-22 - Sacramento, CA - Collaborative Practice - 2 day Basic Interdisciplinary Training
- October 23-27 - Chicago, IL - Mediation Skills Training Certificate Program
- October 23-27 - Colorado Springs, CO - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 23-27 - San Rafael, CA - Essentials of Mediation (3 Days) and Divorce Mediation (2 Days)
- October 23-27 - Baltimore, MD - October 40-Hour Mediation and Conflict Transformation Skills Training
- October 23-25 - Baltimore, MD - IOA Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Course (3 days)
- October 25-28 - Santa Monica, CA - Mediation Training with Ken Cloke
- October 25-26 - Toronto, Ontario, CAN - High Conflict in Groups
- October 25-29 - Springfield, MO - Civil & Family Mediation Training
- October 26-27 - Corte Madera, CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 26 - Baltimore, MD - Facilitation Skills for Working with Groups
- October 26 - Baltimore, MD - IOA: Helping People Get Unstuck: Mindsets that Generate Responsibility and Possibility
- October 26-27 - Baltimore, MD - IOA: Mediation Theory and Skills for the Organizational Ombudsman Course (2 days)
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.