This Week in Mediation #671
March 21, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Achieving a Balanced Relationship between Mediation and Judicial Proceedings in the European Union • ODR's Role in In-Person Mediation and Other 'Must Know' Takeaways About ODR • Let the Judge Decide! - The End of Conflict or Just the Beginning? • Interview with Don Saposnek • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Achieving a Balanced Relationship between Mediation and Judicial Proceedings in the European Union |
by Leonardo d'Urso
This article identifies four distinct mediation models that EU Member States have used in implementing the Directive: Full Voluntary Mediation; Voluntary Mediation with Incentives and Sanctions; Required Initial Mediation Session; and Full Mandatory Mediation.
|ODR's Role in In-Person Mediation and Other 'Must Know' Takeaways About ODR |
by Graham Ross
This article covers a number of practical aspects of online mediation to broaden the understanding of how ODR can benefit a mediation practice.
|Let the Judge Decide! - The End of Conflict or Just the Beginning?|
by Justin Kelsey
I have talked about peoples assumption that bringing a divorce case in front of the judge would end their conflict. On the contrary letting the judge decided might cause more conflict in the end.
|Mediate.com Certification Program Updated|
Both Practitioner and Senior Members are now eligible to apply. A new certification website badge is now available. See www.mediate.com/Certification
|IOA Annual Conference in Minneapolis April 24-26|
The IOA 12th Annual Conference will highlight the association’s 12 years of growth and innovation. The conference is a three-day educational gathering (plus two days of pre-conference courses) that draws more than 400 attendees — organizational ombuds from academic, corporate and institutional settings around the world. Register here
|Getting the Most from Mediate.com |
This PDF presentation reviews the major sections of Mediate.com, including sections on content, resources, getting cases and additional Mediate.com services.
|Interview with Don Saposnek|
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Don Saposnek, a leading family mediator, editor and writer, filmed as part of Mediate.com's "The Mediators: Views from the Eye of the Storm" Series.
|23rd Annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference - March 23-24, 2017 in Seattle|
For more than two decades, the NW Dispute Resolution Conference has offered an opportunity to learn new dispute resolution skills, share ideas with colleagues, catch up with old friends and make new ones. This conference will again be held at the Univ. of Washington School of Law. There are more than 45 sessions covering topics including styles of mediation, gender, deception and manipulation, art of questioning, difficult personalities, conflict coaching, communications, negotiation theory, ethics, arbitration, stress reduction, workplace issues and family law. Register here.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|Get More Cases with Featured Mediator Placement|
Our improved "Featured Mediator Placement" puts your picture, name and website at the top of every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your area code. We put you where the right people can't miss you! Full information is here.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News|
Caseload Manager is #1 Case Managment System for Mediation and Ombuds Programs!|
Caseload Manager can flexibly be sized and priced for any size of mediation or ombuds program. Full information is at www.CaseloadManager.com Schedule your personal tour today!
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Arbitration Case Coordinator - MN
- Arbitration Program Manager - NY
- Directory of Employee Relations - NC
- Ombuds Assistant - NM
- Sr. Mediation Case Specialist - TX
- Case Coordinator - KS
- Ombudsman/Mediator - CA
- Hearing Officer / Arbitrator / Mediator - MA
- Sr. Mediation Case Specialist - TX
- Executive Director - CA
- Magistrate - NC
|Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are at: www.mediate.com/University
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- March 23-24 - San Rafael, CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 23-24 - Oconomowoc, WI - Wisconsin Association of Mediators Emerging Issues Conference
- March 23-24 - 23rd Annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference - March 23-24, 2017 in Seattle
- March 27-29 - Round Rock, TX - Advanced Family Mediation Class
- March 27-31 - San Rafael, CA - Essentials of Mediation and Divorce Mediation
- March 30-April 2 - Memphis, TN - APFM Annual Conference
- April 1 - NJAPM Annual Advanced Divorce and Civil Mediation Seminar
- April 1-4 - Arlington, VA - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- April 3-7 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- April 5-11 - Colorado Springs, CO - Basic Mediation Training - 40 hours
- April 7-8 - Santa Fe, NM - Advanced Attorney Mediator Training
- April 11-15 - Reno, NV - 40-hour Beginning Mediation Training
- April 11-29 - Santa Ana, CA - Community Service Programs 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 19-May 6 - Santa Ana, CA - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 19-22 - San Francisco, CA - ABA Section for DR Spring Conference
- April 19-21 - Colorado Springs, CO - Elder Care Mediation Training
- April 20-21 - Dallas area, TX - 20 hour Chip Protective Services Mediation Training
- April 20-24 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 21-26 - Minneapolis, MN - International Ombudsman Association (IOA) Annual Conference
- April 21-22 - Harrisburg, PA - Practice Challenges in Mediation
- April 22-May 13 - Monroe Township, NJ - 40-hour Divorce Mediation Training NJ
- April 22 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator?
- April 24-27 - Austin area, TX - 40 hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 25-27 - Colorado Springs, CO - Restorative Justice Training 24 hrs
- April 27-28 - Redondo Beach, CA - 2 Day Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Training
- April 28 - Des Plaines, IL - Powerful Non-Defensive Communication for Collaborative Professionals
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.