This Week in Mediation #688
July 26, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Peacemaking, Justice, Restoration, and Forgiveness • 5 Reasons to Choose Mediation to Solve A Dispute • Serious Gaming in Water • A California Correction? Legislature Will Consider Allowing Attorney Malpractice Proof from Mediation • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Peacemaking, Justice, Restoration, and Forgiveness |
by Richard Custin
We often talk about peacemaking while neglecting to address the ultimate goal of justice, restoration and forgiveness.
|5 Reasons to Choose Mediation to Solve A Dispute|
by Marcy Einhorn
If you've ever been involved in a legal dispute you know that the path to a resolution can be long and costly and that the outcome is never a sure bet. There's got to be a better way.
Serious Gaming in Water|
by Todd Jarvis, Shelby Hockaday, Fatima Taha
This paper discusses the use of serious gaming as a method for water resource conflict-negotiation.
|Comparative Data on Mediation Websites|
See updated data from Alexa showing the most visited and most linked mediation websites.
|A California Correction? Legislature Will Consider Allowing Attorney Malpractice Proof from Mediation |
by Jeff Kichaven
The evidence is in. After 43 years of federal practice under Rule 408 of the Federal Rules of Evidence (1975); 19 years of New York practice under CPLR 4547 (1998); and 16 years of practice in various states under the Uniform Mediation Act (2001), we can conclude: Statutory confidentiality is not necessary for effective mediation.
|Get More Cases with Featured Mediator Placement |
Featured Placement puts your picture, name and website at the top of every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your local area! Full information is here.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs|
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Mediation and Ombuds Case Managment System!|
Caseload Manager is your most capable and affordable answer for mediation and ombuds program case management. Full information is at www.CaseloadManager.com.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Connecticut State Department of Education Releases Lists of Due Process Hearing Officer and Mediators and New Process for Mediations
After an extensive interview and hiring process, the Connecticut State Department of Education (“CSDE”), Bureau of Special Education, released last week the list of new mediators. The hiring of new mediators was prompted by a directive from the Office of Special Education Programs (“OSEP”) that mediators used pursuant to the procedures required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (“IDEA”) not be employees of the CSDE
- Mediator to hear case of teen injured with stun gun by Independence police officer
A federal lawsuit that alleges a former Independence police officer nearly killed a teenager with a stun gun during a 2014 traffic stop has been scheduled for mediation with a former Jackson County Circuit Court judge.
- Millennial Mediator: 37-Year-Old Financial Advisor Leads Couples Through Tough Divorce Choices
“We’re really working with a client during an emotional period, making sure that we understand them and are sensitive to them, but also really helping empower them to make financial decisions that are beneficial to them and not just emotional,”
- Mediation set for Georgetown sinkhole lawsuit
City of Georgetown representatives will try to reach a settlement with the defendants in a lawsuit the city first filed in September of 2014 regarding sinkhole damage to City Hall and Fire Station No. 1.
- Mediation program returns to make a difference in Fallsburg
Fallsburg Justice Court clipped through 44 cases in 90 minutes Tuesday night, less than half what it used to take. How? According to Town Judge Amanda Ward, there’s a new order in the courtroom thanks to the return of a mediation program offered through the Dispute Resolution Center.
- United Nations activities in support of mediation - Report of the Secretary-General
In its resolution 70/304, the General Assembly requested the Secretary-General to submit a report to the Assembly at its seventy-second session on United Nations activities in support of mediation in the peaceful settlement of disputes, conflict prevention and resolution. The present report is submitted pursuant to that request
|Online Basic 40-hr Beginning Mediation Course at Special Price!|
Join Dr. Clare Fowler for an excellent 40-hr Basic Mediation Training for only $345! Certificate and CLE credit available. Full information is here.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Tenant-Landlord Case Manager - CA
- Ombudsman - OH
- Director of Dispute Resolution Programs - CA
- Director of ADR Services - CA
- Mediation Director - ME
- Family Court Services Coordinator - CA
- State DR Director - OR
- Default Mediation Specialist - CA
- Director of Employee Empowerment - OR
- Mediation Program Manager - VA
- Labor and Employment Counsel - CT
- Conflict Resolution Professor - NY
- Mediation Ethics Lecturer - CA
|Affordable Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are at: www.mediate.com/University.
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- July 31-August 5 - Malibu, CA - Pepperdine's Mediating the Litigated Case
- August 3-7 - Kensington, MD - 40-hr Basic Mediation Training
- August 7-10 - San Francisco - 32nd Annual Federal Dispute Resolution Conference
- August 7-11 - Chicago, IL - Mediation Skills Training Certificate Program
- August 7-10 - Austin, TX - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- August 7-11 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- August 10-18 - Medford, OR - Restorative Justice Facilitator Training
- August 11-12 - Houston, TX - Family Reconciliation & Family Intervention Mediation Training
- August 12 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator? Seminar
- August 15-17 - Austin, TX - 30 hr Advanced Mediation Training
- August 17-19 - St. Johns NL, CAN - Elder Mediation Training
- August 22 - Austin, TX - 8 hr. Arbitration Training
- August 23-29 - Denver, CO - 40 hr. Basic Mediation Training
- August 31-October 5 - Online - Conflict Management Coaching with Patricia Porter
- September 5-October 4 - Online - Coaching Leaders Through Conflicgt with Cinnie Noble
- September 11-15 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- September 11-15 - Colorado Springs, CO - 40-hr. Basic Mediation Training
- September 15-16 - Elmwood Park, IL - Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training
- September 19-21 - Colorado Springs, CO - Conflict Coaching Seminar - 24 hrs.
- September 20-28 - Medford, OR - Restorative Justice Facilitator Training
- September 22 - Anchorage, AK - Conflict Resolution in the Workplace Training
- September 22-23 - Santa Rosa, CA - Navigating Conflict for Therapists
- September 22-24 - Kensington, MD - 20-houir Child Access Mediation Training
- September 23 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator?
- September 26-November 18 - Greenfield, MA - Basic Mediation Training
- September 26-28 - Colorado Springs, CO - Workplace Medation Training - 24 hrs
- October 2-6 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- October 2-6 - Denver, CO - Basic Mediation Training 40 hours
- October 4-13 - San Rafael, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 7-28 - Monroe Township, NJ - NJAPM 40-hour Divorce Mediation Training
- October 14 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator
- October 18-21 - Eugene, OR - Restoring Focus on the Child: CADRE’s Seventh National Symposium on Special Education Dispute Resolution
- October 19-20 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- October 19-21 - Nashville, TN - 3rd Annual Fall Professional Skills Program (Pepperdine & Lipscomb)
- October 19-23 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.